Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bend, Oregon and Northern California!

I can pretty much sum Bend up as the 'perfect little Athleta Magazine Town' that I had pictured in my head. I have heard so many people say they like Bend, so it was fun to finally see it for myself. Brendan has skied at Bend growing up (Mt Bachelor) so he wanted to make this a stop on our list of places to check out.

We had a wonderful time getting to know some friends of our friends and had some BEAUTIFUL runs/hikes on the trails. I think I could get hooked on trail running if I lived in Bend - such a difference from running on the streets or paved paths!

The campground in Bend had 2 fabulous lounges, so the kids and I would go up there and work at tables/couches. It was a GREAT change of scenery from the window-less, cold trailer!

One day we drove 30 mins up to the ski hill - I couldn't believe how much snow they had compared to the inch or so we had at the campground. The kids got all excited to ski, but they weren't predicted to open until around Thanksgiving.

Bend has great shopping districts, cozy, cute houses, an extremely active community and I love all of the architecture - they've done an amazing job to make the city look attractive. I'm pretty sure I could live here - I get the feeling it would possibly feel like you'd be 'on vacation' all the time. I like the size too - just a tad smaller than Rochester, MN.

We stayed in Bend just over a week. Brendan took a 1/2 day off on Monday (had to pick a nice, sunny, warm day as they had gotten some snow and we were worried about the roads) and we drove during the daylight all the way to Red Bluff, CA. Red Bluff had a really fancy campground that Brendan's folks had recommended to us. The kids and I were also able to do work/school in the lodge area here as well. It also was a welcome change of scenery...this time water fountains and palm trees! woot! it's warm here!

No comments: