Thursday, February 14, 2008

to my children.......



some of you other bloggers have inspired me to write a letter to our kids. so here goes.....

You are almost 6 alec james....
You don't know how many times you make dad and I say "he's so stinkin cute" after you've left the room. You have such a tender heart and I love that. You love to cuddle, a day never goes by that I don't cuddle or get a kiss from you. You love to sit on our laps. I'm glad that you are a softy and not some 'rough n tumble' boy. You are a terrible liar, we can tell if you are guilty just by the way you look. You get a smirk on your face and you will actually exhale deeply ... like it's killing you to have something hid inside. your teacher just told us that you are the sweetest boy she's ever taught. i'm so glad that we can send you out into the big rough world and you are not conformed to it. i like it that you tell me that you don't like it when other kids tease, i hope you continue to be sensitive to others. i love that you are so easy to have around. i can take you to the daycare at the club and you don't complain, i can take you to the mall (and you will complain before we go) but deep down i think you actually sometimes have fun shopping with your old mom!! come to think of it, i think i can take you anywhere - i never worry about how you'll behave! i love watching you get on the bus...i was so afraid for the day i had to send you off alone, but you grew up....every day you walk so confidentally across the street to the bus and my heart just smiles watching you be so happy to go to school! you LOVE to vacuum and quite often you sit on the counter by the sink for long periods of time and 'wash' the dishes for me. i really don't think i've have ever been mad at you...you are just too sweet, even if you do something wrong you feel so bad it breaks my heart. i think the only thing that sometimes frustrates me is that you can be such a pessimist. sometimes we call you eeyore. i love you buddy boy. mom


autumn elizabeth, you are almost 9!! just today I was looking at some of your old baby clothes and i can hardly believe you're as old as you are!! you are a lot like your dad. you have always been a confident girl. i'm glad. you make friends with everyone. you are always up for something new and game for change. you wake up happy and love a good breakfast. you go to bed happy and have energy all day long! sometimes i feel bad because i tend to expect a lot out of you. i need to remember you are only 8. i love that i can reason with you. i can trust you. you have a good conscience. i love that i often hear you singing and humming hymns throughout the day. you have an incredible memory. you could care less what you do with your hair and what you wear. you hate to shop. you love to teach your brother. you are very good about helping other little kids. your teacher said she can always count on you for a right answer & insightful discussion. i'm glad that you are a good student and that school is easy for you. you are very self sufficient. you've been able to get your own breakfast for years...and to this day you are a huge help around the house. you enjoy helping me in the kitchen. you are a neat freak. you have a phobia of hair. you hate hair in the shower, or even on your old dad! you organize your closet and i mean right down to folding your underwear and tights and all of your hanging clothes are color coordinated. in some ways, we are so alike and in other ways we are so different. i wouldn't change a thing, because you are definitely your own person and that is great!! you don't express your emotions verbally very much, but you write the sweetest letters (yep, your dad's qualities again!). i love every single letter that i find on my bed, etc. i love you autumn bottom. mom

4 comments:

Lani said...

Awww... thanks for sharing your letters. I love reading how you love your children. And I also like feeling like now I somehow know them better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kayla...you may or may not remember me, my parents are Tony and Terry Saber..we know Natalie and Scott ver well...anyways, I enjoy looking at your blog and your letters to your kids are so sweet. Reading your letters (and lani's too) make me excited to be a mom someday! Keep up the great work of raising two great kids in truth!

Jenny said...

Wonderful letters to your kids. I had shivers while I read them...Someday I'll have to sit down and do that. Not today though. I'm tired and crabby and they're trying their absolute best to aggravate each other. Grrrr!

Ethel said...

well you write sweet letters too! how wonderful that you have such great kids! it's wonderful when we can take some time and just think positively about our most precious gifts!! our kids! you have me all teared up..i'm sure if and when i write to my own kids there will be tears also...Thanks for being a great parent(s)!